Tuesday 13 August 2019

The Uneventful Event


When you are an artist and you are trying to move beyond friends and family and expand your followers you would like to grab any opportunity you could get.
I recently decided to join a women’s club where the sole purpose was to give opportunities to women entrepreneurs. After much cajoling and coaxing I decided to take the plunge and intuitively joined the group.  I paid a small amount to get into a whatsapp group where I am allowed to share only 2 posts per day. In today’s time where people simply vomit out anything and everything in these groups I was allowed to post just 2?
I went a step further and paid another fee to put up a stall at an event that was primarily an extended Kitty party. The first did not seem as much of an evil as to what I witnessed at party. Let me put it this way... ladies of all age and size spend money to enter this event, look at none of the stalls as they might have to pay a small amount on them where as they spent thousands on getting all dolled up and looking like male up queens!
Is this what our generation is all about? To look beautiful with nothing inside. Whatever happened to beauty and brains or just the brains?  The whole event (a beauty pageant) was a set up. And people who had paid to put up a stall were left flabbergasted because no one was interested in looking at the things that were displayed but were more interested in displaying themselves. Is this what our society has come to?
The issue was never about expanding my horizon but how pretty I looked (I was asked to wear pretty clothes). And on top of that I was told not to lose heart. Things like this happen. I learnt something that day- never put your efforts in the hands of a someone who doesn’t care about anything but the looks. And that an even where the display is not the main attractions. It is never a great idea to say yes to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment